7/7 All Women’s
The All Women’s backpacking course has become a flagship program at SROM. The elements of a beautiful wilderness setting and a group of women desiring to know God are a combination for transformation. This course is designed for women who seek spiritual renewal while surrounded by pristine wilderness. If you have a vision of yourself experiencing God with other women in a way that is unique and rewarding, enroll in the All Women’s course! It will be a time of community building, prayer, joy, discovery, and hope. There is not prior wilderness experience necessary so invite your girl friends too!
Regardless of age, experience, or skill, this course is designed for women who want to enter deeper into the heart of God in His creation and within a caring community. Your spirit will be refreshed with Bible study, relationship, and retreat. Through the quiet of solitude, the challenge of a peak ascent, and the fellowship of other sisters in Christ, you will discover how much God cares about your heart.
You will spend six days backpacking in the Rocky Mountains learning the fundamentals of living in the wilderness. Your instructors will teach you how to pack a backpack, understand and read topographic maps, navigate on and off trail, prepare and cook backcountry meals, and enjoy the wilderness. Each day, one woman will act as the leader, and create and execute a wilderness travel plan for the group and make decisions about route finding, travel, safety, and group dynamics. The trip will be a time to grow closer to Christ, to others in the group, and to gain confidence and skills applicable well beyond your course.
Though this course is designed for all skill levels, it is important to be aware of the demands and challenges you may face. Listed below are some items to keep in mind when preparing for a course or considering signing up for a course:
- Pack weight: your pack will generally range between 40-60% of your body weight.
- You will be hiking on uneven terrain, which may be rocky and/or muddy at times.
- Depending on the itinerary, you may be hiking 3-6 miles per day.
- SROM programs in areas of deep wilderness, and you may be hiking a day or more away from the nearest trailhead.
- Depending on where you currently live, there may be a significant change in elevation. Laramie, WY is at an elevation of 7,220 feet, and SROM often plans this itinerary through areas that range between 7,000 to 10,500 feet above sea level. Depending on the itinerary, you may be attempting a 12,600′ peak!
- Days on course are often long, and may require you to be up at 7 am and in bed at 9 pm.
- Community on course is typically one of the highlights. We often have students from a variety of different backgrounds, ranging in age from 18 – 65 years old.
Students will participate in outdoor and adventure activities as a team and a community. However, these activities are not the focus, but rather the means for growth, challenge, and refinement. Spiritual growth will come as the group discusses the lessons learned in each activity. The arc between each lesson learned and the practical application to life becomes a catalyst for revelation and change. Our prayer is that this experience will lead to a renewed identity in Christ, confidence, restored relationships with family and peers, and leadership development.
Skills covered on the All Women’s course include (but are not limited to) the following:
- On- and off-trail navigation and travel
- Daily camp set up and tear down
- Backcountry cooking
- Solo time
- Principles of Leave No Trace outdoor ethics
- Personal challenge
- Characteristics of a Godly woman