Ministry Leaders Course
Are you a pastor, ministry leader, elder in your church, or a missionary? Then this wilderness course is for you! This course is designed for those who are pouring their lives into their communities to be refreshed and renewed in the wilderness. This is an opportunity for ministry leaders to experience renewal in the wilderness.
Jesus often took himself and his disciples into wild places to meet with God to be renewed and engage in authentic relationship with each other and with the Father, to teach and raise up leaders of the faith, and to just be present.
This course is an opportunity to get away from distractions and unplug from the busyness and demands of life in order be refreshed and renewed by the love of God, the grace of Jesus and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit and your fellow harvesters.
Join our experienced ministry staff for a transformational time to rediscover your first love in the wilderness.
The 7 day Ministry Leaders course will occur in the iconic Grand Canyon National Park. Grand Canyon National Park is one of the majestic places of the southwest United States. You will travel the less frequented North Rim of the park. Due to few visitors and less development, the North Rim area is remote. It is common to travel for many days, even weeks, and not encounter another visitor.
This area of the Grand Canyon will not disappoint! The course will specifically visit the renowned Thunder River/Tapeats Creek and Deer Creek region of the North Rim. This area is particularly stunning because of the unusual abundance of fresh flowing water. The water allows for tremendous biodiversity and beauty amidst the austere yet magnificent desert landscape. This is a truly remarkable place to spend time outside for a week. For many outdoor enthusiasts this would be a “bucket list” trip.
You will see towering canyons, beautiful creeks and streams, wildflowers, and incredible starlit skies in some of the finest wilderness areas in North America. And each day will be an opportunity to grow closer to the Creator through experiencing the majesty of His creation. There will be time to worship as a group and time to step away and quietly abide at the feet of Jesus. This course is designed to start practicing “Jesus Rhythms.”
In scripture, we see Jesus withdraw away from the crowds and His ministry to have that time of intimacy with God the Father. Only after these times of retreating to the wilderness did Jesus and his disciples return to ministry refreshed and renewed by spending that time with the Father. It is this pattern that Jesus modeled that will be practiced each day on the trail, with your fellow laborers, and in camp.
You will travel through these iconic canyons and learn outdoor skills, such as campsite selection, backcountry cooking, reading topographic maps, and route finding. These unique wilderness experiences will create opportunities to develop outdoor skills and experience spiritual growth in many ways. Throughout the course you will receive fresh perspectives, gain new insights, and grow in your relationship with the Lord. God truly uses His creation to make His invisible qualities known.
This course is available to individuals 21 years and older currently serving in a leadership role for their church, ministry, or on the mission field. No previous outdoor experience is required to participate in this course. The only prerequisite is a willing heart and an adventurous spirit. SROM provides all of your technical and group equipment, so come as you are and be transformed and refreshed by your time with the Lord in His wilderness.
Though this course is designed for all skill levels, it is important to be aware of the demands and challenges you may face. Listed below are some items to keep in mind when preparing for this course or considering signing up for this course:
- Pack weight: your pack will generally range between 40-60% of your body weight.
- You will be hiking on uneven terrain, which may be rocky and/or muddy, and off-trail at times. Depending on your itinerary, you may be on rocky approaches and descents, navigating talus and scree with the potential for crossing creeks and streams.
- Depending on the itinerary, you may be hiking 3-6 miles per day.
- SROM programs in areas of deep wilderness, and you may be hiking a full day away from the nearest trailhead or road.
- Depending on where you currently live, you may experience a significant change in elevation. Laramie, WY is at an elevation of 7,220 feet, and SROM often plans this itinerary through areas that range between 8,297 at the rim down to 2,200 feet above sea level. Elevation changes may be +/- 2,000′ depending on the itinerary.
- Days on course are often long, and may require you to be up at 6 am and in bed at 9 pm.
Ministry Leaders will participate in outdoor and adventure activities as a team and a community while engaging in a “Jesus Rhythm” of withdrawing into intimacy with the Father. Spiritual growth will come as the group discusses the lessons learned each day creating opportunities for vulnerability, breakthrough, and authentic community. The arc between each lesson learned and the practical application to life becomes a catalyst for revelation and change. Our prayer is that this experience will lead to a renewed identity in Christ, confidence in your calling, restored relationships with family and peers, and leadership development.
Skills covered on the Ministry Leaders course include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Reconnecting passion for the call to ministry
- Learning to implement “Jesus Rhythms” into day to day
- Sharing the joys and burdens of your calling
- Foster a culture of honor and authenticity
- Learn from other leaders in a dynamic environment
- Gain confidence & competence in outdoor travel including:
- On- and off-trail navigation and travel
- Gourmet Backcountry cooking
- Daily camp setup and teardown
- Biblical Principles of Leave No Trace outdoor ethics
Day 1: Pre-course planning, organization, and introductions.
Day 2-8: Backpacking section in deep wilderness environment
Day 9: Post course debrief and celebration