20/20 Teen Girls
SROM believes that in this present age, the teenage life is saturated with technology and bombarded with post-modern thinking. Not only has culture abandoned the above values, but its message and mantra are a disservice to young women. There is an absence of godly female role models and a constant presence of unrealistic expectations. It is our goal that through the challenge and mentorship of a 20/20 course, God’s truth in Christ will ring louder in the hearts of young women than the pressures, disappointments, and fears that they face daily.
SROM is passionate for young women to be built up relationally and mentored in a physically and emotionally safe environment. Throughout their 20 days in the wilderness, young women will have an opportunity to see themselves as the Lord sees them: as individuals and leaders. They will participate in outdoor and adventure activities as a team and community. However, these activities are not the focus; they are merely a means for growth, challenge, and refinement. Spiritual growth will come as the group discusses the lessons learned in each activity. The arc between each lesson learned and the practical application to life becomes a catalyst for revelation and change. The experience will lead to a renewed identity in Christ, confidence, restored relationships with family and peers, and leadership development.
Though this course is designed for all skill levels, it is important to be aware of the demands and challenges you may face. Listed below are some items to keep in mind when preparing for this course or considering signing up for this course:
- Pack weight: your pack will generally range between 40-60% of your body weight.
- You will be hiking on uneven terrain, which may be rocky and/or muddy, and off-trail at times. Depending on your itinerary, you may be on rocky approaches and descents, navigating talus and scree with the potential for crossing snow fields and/or traveling through snow.
- Depending on the itinerary, you may be hiking 3-6 miles per day.
- SROM programs in areas of deep wilderness, and you may be hiking a day or more away from the nearest trailhead.
- Depending on where you currently live, you may experience a significant change in elevation. Laramie, WY is at an elevation of 7,220 feet, and SROM often plans this itinerary through areas that range between 7,000 to 10,500+ feet above sea level. Elevation changes may be +/- 2,000′ and, depending on the itinerary, you may be attempting a 12,000′ peak!
- Days on course are often long, and may require you to be up at 6 am and in bed at 10 pm.
- Community on course is often one of the highlights. We have students from a variety of different backgrounds, generally ranging in age from 14 – 18 years old.
Students will participate in outdoor and adventure activities as a team and a community. However, these activities are not the focus; they are merely a means for growth, challenge, and refinement. Spiritual growth will come as the group discusses the lessons learned in each activity. The arc between each lesson learned and the practical application to life becomes a catalyst for revelation and change. Our prayer is that this experience will lead to a renewed identity in Christ, confidence, restored relationships with family and peers, and leadership development.
Skills covered on the 20/20 Teen Girls course include (but are not limited to) the following:
- On- and off-trail navigation and travel
- Backcountry cooking
- Daily camp set up and tear down
- Bear awareness
- Principles of Leave No Trace outdoor ethics
- Outdoor Rock Climbing
- Fitting and use of climbing harness, helmet, and shoes
- Basic belaying
- Basic climbing techniques
- Basic climbing knots
Day 1-8 Rock Climbing
The course begins with an introduction to rock climbing. Amid the granite rocks of Laramie Peaks, young women will learn the technical skills that are foundational for any SROM rock climbing experience. The skills learned and the time spent climbing together will create opportunities for personal growth and spiritual formation as each person learns deeper trust, overcomes fear, and develops confidence. Each will learn to live in a wilderness environment. Here, instructors will spend time teaching about the essentials of wilderness living. Students will learn to set up camp, pack backpacks, hike with packs, cook delicious food, stay hygienic, and enjoy the wilderness. As the young women become accustomed to their surroundings, they will enjoy the beauty of God’s created world more and more. Seeing the wonder of God through what He has made will set a foundation of truth that they are more beautiful to God than the beauty that is all around them.
Day 9-20 Backpacking
This next section takes place in the beautiful mountains of the world-famous Wind River Range: towering peaks, crystal clear lakes, wildflower meadows, and stunning starlit skies. The group will learn backcountry travel skills and develop greater proficiency in reading topographic maps, navigating on and off trail, campsite selection and set up, and backcountry cooking. The young women will take turns acting as the group Leader of the Day (LOD). Each LOD will be responsible for developing a daily wilderness travel plan, making ongoing decisions, and caring for the safety and welfare of participants. This practical application of leadership skills will be the foundation for leadership development on the course. Mentored by their instructors, the community of young women will learn how they can bring God glory, build His Kingdom, and fight the lies that seek to diminish their beauty and rob them of all they are in Christ. At the end of this journey, each of these young women will have had a chance to come face to face with Jesus, their Bridegroom King.
Tuition Due Dates
Complete tuition due date: May 27
|Deposit due 14 days after your receipt of your Course Information Packet:||$350.00|
|Due March 1:||$1,225.00|
|Remaining balance due May 27:||$1,225.00|
Note: These amounts are required by the dates given. Smaller payments before and between deadlines are encouraged and accepted. These deadlines are set to help you reach your tuition goals.