Although the 10/10 Teen is a shorter course offered at SROM, it does not diminish this course’s impact. In just 10 days we pray that you will be able to feel a difference in how you view yourself and God. Come and experience community in a new and exciting way!
Your journey begins with rock climbing in beautiful Vedauwoo, Wyoming. You will learn basic climbing knots, belaying skills, and climbing techniques. You will experience life in community, exercise trust, and acquire tools for overcoming fear. From Vedauwoo, you will transition to the Rocky Mountain backcountry and spend six days backpacking in either Rocky Mountain National Park or the Snowy Range Mountains depending on permitting and permit availability. You will see towering peaks, beautiful alpine lakes and streams, meadows of wildflowers, and incredible starlit skies in some of the finest wilderness areas in North America. You will travel through these mountains and learn technical outdoor skills, such as campsite selection, backcountry cooking, reading topographic maps, and route finding. These unique wilderness experiences will create opportunities to develop practical leadership skills and experience spiritual growth in many ways. Throughout the course you will receive fresh perspectives, gain new insights, and grow in your relationship with the Lord. God truly uses His creation to make His invisible qualities known.
This course is available to individuals 14 to 18 years old. No previous outdoor experience is required to participate in this course. The only prerequisite is a willing heart and an adventurous spirit. SROM provides all of your technical and group equipment, so come as you are and be transformed by your time with the Lord in His wilderness.
Though this course is designed for all skill levels, it is important to be aware of the demands and challenges you may face. Listed below are some items to keep in mind when preparing for this course or considering signing up for this course:
- Pack weight: your pack will generally range between 40-60% of your body weight.
- You will be hiking on uneven terrain, which may be rocky and/or muddy, and off-trail at times. Depending on your itinerary, you may be on rocky approaches and descents, navigating talus and scree with the potential for crossing snow fields and/or traveling through snow.
- Depending on the itinerary, you may be hiking 3-6 miles per day.
- SROM programs in areas of deep wilderness, and you may be hiking a day or more away from the nearest trailhead.
- Depending on where you currently live, you may experience a significant change in elevation. Laramie, WY is at an elevation of 7,220 feet, and SROM often plans this itinerary through areas that range between 8,000 to 10,500 feet above sea level. Elevation changes may be +/- 2,000′ and, depending on the itinerary, you may be attempting a 12,000+’ peak!
- Days on course are often long, and may require you to be up at 6 am and in bed at 10 pm.
- Community on course is often one of the highlights. We have students from a variety of different backgrounds, generally ranging in age from 14 – 18 years old.
Students will participate in outdoor and adventure activities as a team and a community. However, these activities are not the focus, but rather the means for growth, challenge, and refinement. Spiritual growth will come as the group discusses the lessons learned in each activity. The arc between each lesson learned and the practical application to life becomes a catalyst for revelation and change. Our prayer is that this experience will lead to a renewed identity in Christ, confidence, restored relationships with family and peers, and leadership development.
Skills covered on the 10/10 Adult course include (but are not limited to) the following:
- On- and off-trail navigation and travel
- Backcountry cooking
- Daily camp set up and tear down
- Principles of Leave No Trace outdoor ethics
- Outdoor Rock Climbing
- Fitting and use of climbing harness, helmet, and shoes
- Basic belaying
- Basic climbing techniques
- Basic climbing knots